20140616

I10-ER1-Piero Choy

Extensive Reading Report - Intermediate

  1. Title of the article: Word Cup or World's Fair? Technology takes center field at the Games in Brazil

  2. Source of the article (link): http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/robotics/robotics-hardware/world-cup-or-world-fair-technology-is-heavily-on-display-at-the-games-in-brazil

  3. Author's name: Morgen Peck

  4. Before you read, look at the picture(s) if any, as well as the title. What do you think the article will be about?

I think the article may talk about the advanced of technology at FIFA World Cup, the different kind of technologies improved and used in that important event for the sport and world.

  1. Read the article and describe what you understand of it in as much detail as possible.

Four days ago, on June 12th, the Soccer's principal party started. FIFA World Cup is a big event where 32 countries around the world will send their teams and they're going to compete in the sport most celebrated international event. Beginning, Brazil's stadiums had several problems (during the first match between Brazil and Croatia, Area de São Paulo, it was incomplete because there was incoordination. Nevertheless, the fields was brimming with technology. In opening kick, there was nontraditional beginning, because Juliano Pinto, a brazilian athletic that his career finished when he had a car accident in 2006, knocked the ball forward while wearing a robotic exoskeleton. He can control the exoskeleton with sensors connected on his scalp which analized electrical signals from his brain.

Also, there were improvements in the fields. It developed a new automated detection system called GoalControl. It alert the referees on the field that a successful goal has been made. That system has several proofs at 2013 Confederations Cup where it detected 68 goal in totally.

Finally, at the last FIFA World Cup, the texting, photos and tweeting of feverish fans generated 30GB of data traffic. The experts are expecting a cumulative total of 12.6 TB because, now, there's more tools for tweeting and global sharing like Instagram, Facebook and Searchers.

  1. Vocabulary Use: Choose 05 new vocabulary items (words, collocations or idiomatic expressions, etc.) and write their meanings and 02 examples related to your real experience.


1. Shoddy: (adjective): do poor something.
- Last week, I took a exam but I didn't pass the test, because that day I was tired and I felt very sad. After, I thought about that and I promised myself not do shoddy things again.
In the government, the authorities take a shoddy decisions because, after, they're scandals about many things.

2. Shame: (noun): a feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong behavior.
- I feel shame when I had a wrong behavior in my life.
- I feel shame when I heard, in the news, corruption cases in the government.

3. Fizzle: (verb): end or fail in a weak or disappointing way.
- The lights fizzled for a breakdown in the electrical system.
- The Tupac Amaru revolt fizzled because he didn't have help and that government didn't want revolts in the region.

4. Kick: (noun): a blow with the foot.
- When soccer players start a match, the opening kick is realized in the middle of the field.
- I like to play soccer with my friends. Soccer is a game where you kick the ball.

5. Subtle (adjective): so delicate to analyze or describe.
- My best friend always tell me subtle secrets because she wants that I decipher them.
- When you want do a surprise, you should be subtle.

Student's Name: Piero Choy Pomalima


No comments:

Post a Comment